These are the things I say or do. While in France or some other country in the neighborhood. Enjoy.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Gyros, gyros, gyros

I have been anxiously awaiting news about a possible job opportunity with a bicycle touring company for the past few weeks. Well, yesterday I recieved news that they do, in fact, want to "hire" me. Notice those quotes around the word hire in the last sentence? Those quotes mean that they do want me to work for them, but don't really want to "pay" me. I would be able to ride and work for them, but they would only pay for my food and lodging and travel expenses, nothing more. Now, if I had, say, 1,000 dollars in my pocket right now, I could swing that. All I would have to cover outside of the tour would be my student loans. But I do not, in fact, have 1,000 dollars. Or any money to speak of, really, that would allow me to work without being paid and then come back to this rather low-paying job. So, it will be back to Ames, IA and the Gyro stand for me.

Part of me is excited to go back to Ames, see old friends, and work at the stand again. I'll also be moving back into my old apartment as well, which is handy. It was never a choice between a good job that I enjoy and a "fallback" one. I had seriously considered not even applying for other things and just working at the stand in the first place. But it would have been nice to do something different, meet new challenges and learn new skills, as well as get paid to ride my bike. Ah, well, maybe next summer. I look forward to busting my ass again at late, late hours and drinking the acrid nectar that is Pabst Blue Ribbon at 6am while the sun comes up. I might also be able to deliver burritos on my bike for another company, which would kick not a little ass, and help me get a few more kilometers under my belt this year.

8 Comments:

Blogger Chelsea said...

Nick, I look forward to seeing you again! I hope I'm in town this summer...

xoxox

4/05/2006 09:18:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nic! I am ashamed to admit it, but I lost your blog address for, like, months. Then the other day I plumbed the depths of my email inbox and found the address and all those old mails I half-replied to and never finished! Now I have your addresses again and your blog syndicated in my newsreader so... yeah, I'll get on that.

This is all quite fascinating, though. Keep it up!

4/05/2006 04:04:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(PS: Steph H. says "bonjour" and wishes you were sticking around Europe longer so she could visit you on her way to Italy next year.)

4/05/2006 04:05:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sad the bike tour thing didn't work out for you, but it will be cool to have you back in Ames this summer.

4/05/2006 09:39:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know there are GYRO stands in Minneapolis. Just a thought...

4/06/2006 02:27:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well that is kind of sad that you wont be biking for that company...however that is good news for me becuase now we can hang out alot this summer..which includes drinking beer...I am not real keen on pabst...I will try to get you hooked on Blue Moon. End

Teej and his fast pants

4/10/2006 04:41:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to drink a PBR with you sometime. I hope life's gone well for you since July.

12/12/2006 10:45:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I don't think Tiger is the kind of guy who's thinking about the streak anyways. pga The thoroughly miserable year that also included a bout with a gastrointestinal virus at the Canadian Open closed with Daly a career-low 193rd on the money list, resulting in the forfeiture of his PGA Tour card. Too bad because the unique scoring system did offer a change of pace on the tour, and one of the most amazing second place finishes, ever, when Steve Lowery did the following: Missed 10-foot birdie putt on 18th hole at The INTERNATIONAL which would have given him the win by one over Rich Beem. The result should be longer shots and improved control because of its high MOI.

2/19/2007 07:44:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home