These are the things I say or do. While in France or some other country in the neighborhood. Enjoy.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Whitman on the Beach

After yesterday, today couldn't be anything but better. I went to the beach and the bright sun to read some of "Leaves of Grass", which is definitely all it is cracked up to be. Generally when something from the literary canon is so hyped up it is somewhat of a letdown for me, but this is not the case with good ol' Walt. Here's something that cheered me up today from "Song of Myself"
Trippers and askers surround me,
People I meet....the effect upon me of my early life....of the
ward and city I live in....of the nation,
The latest news....discoveries, inventions, societies....authors
old and new,
My dinner, dress, associates, looks, business, compliments, dues,
The real or fancied indifference of some man or woman I love,
The sickness of one of my folks -- or of myself....or ill-doing....
or loss or lack of money....or depressions or exaltations,
They come to me days and nights and go from me again,
But they are not the Me myself.

Apart from the pulling and hauling stands what I am,
Stands amused, complacent, compassionating, idle, unitary,
Looks down, is erect, bends an arm on an impalpable certain rest,
Looks with its sidecurved head curious what will come next,
Both in and out of the game, and watching and wondering at it.

Backward I see in my own days where I sweated through fog with
linguists and contenders,
I have no mockings or arguments....I witness and wait.


Needless to say, I feel better. Thanks to all of those who gave me compliments and emailed me. It's good to know you have friends. And someone hasn't pissed in your bed.

3 Comments:

Blogger fontgoddess said...

*hugs*
glad you're feeling better.
Whitman's a hell of a lot cheerier than Nietzsche.
continue to have great days!

(oooh, and have you heard about the huge protests in LA? they're even *peaceful* last I heard, via NPR.)

3/29/2006 07:33:00 AM

 
Blogger Nick said...

Fontgoddess,

I heard about the protests in LA. I need to read more American news...I used to listen to podcasts, but that doesn't work now that my compy is busted. Thanks for the *hugs*, yo. You still got the same email address?

3/29/2006 07:53:00 AM

 
Blogger fontgoddess said...

yup, same email address. that's how I got your email about your blog. I really enjoy reading how you're doing, which makes me think I should update my blog moreā€¦

3/31/2006 07:11:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home