These are the things I say or do. While in France or some other country in the neighborhood. Enjoy.

Friday, March 24, 2006

Same old story

So, my computer is broken. As in broken broken. As in the Logic Board or Motherboard or Carte Mère is completely fried, cassé, whatever. It would cost 1000 euros to fix, which is more than a month's salary for me, and about 1000 times as much money as I currently have. So that's not an option. I suppose this means I should get a new computer, one with Apple Care that takes care of these problems for free (Well, not free, but not 1000 euros either). I dunno what I shall do. I can't write on it now, or access any of my journals for the past few years, or, and this is the worst part, listen to my music. At all. It's somewhat scary to see how dependent I've become on my computer. In a way, though, it has been my radio and newspaper and emotional outlet and alarm clock my entire time here. I don't have a television or a radio, so I downloaded podcasts and listened to my music. I played DVDs on it, too. Sigh.

The bike, though, is rolling. The new wheel I bought that the cassette broke off of? I got the cassette replaced. And then discovered that it sucked, and was not replaced properly. When I went to the store they were having a sale outside of used bikes and bike parts. I found a sweet Mavic wheel with cassette and tire and tube for only 25 euros, so I sucked up and bought it and now it works marvelously, doesn't skip gears when I don't want it to, and is much lighter. I've ridden 50km every day since Wednesday because it's been both nice and my bike has worked, an alignment of the planets that hasn't occurred in quite awhile. You win some and lose some, I suppose. I think I've generally lost (money, time, effort, computer), but at least I can ride my damn bike.

4 Comments:

Blogger fontgoddess said...

I feel like I'm missing an arm when I don't have my computer for an extended period of time. Seriously, half my brain is on there. So I feel for your loss. Have you checked the web for a new motherboard? Maybe you could get it cheaper and use instructions (also found on the web) to fix it yourself. I mean, what would you lose if it didn't work? (And keep your hard drive no matter what, you can still save the stuff you didn't get a chance to back up.)

3/25/2006 08:16:00 AM

 
Blogger Katie said...

My pulse varies with speed of my computer.

Also, I want to buy a bike. The snow finally melted, and it turns out NH is gorgeous. I need a cheap, reliable road bike/road-mountain hybrid. Any suggestions?

3/25/2006 10:46:00 AM

 
Blogger PlumLily said...

:( No more Apple for Your Eye.

3/26/2006 08:58:00 AM

 
Blogger Michael Faris said...

ahhh... differnet...it's like "different" and "internet" all put into one! I love it!

3/26/2006 11:19:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home