These are the things I say or do. While in France or some other country in the neighborhood. Enjoy.

Thursday, December 01, 2005

December means Capitalism

I get to stop teaching about Thanksgiving (finally!) in my classes, and get to start teaching about Christmas. No more turkey, Pilgrims, (pronounced peelgreems by little French kids) or gesturing and making noises on how you open up a can of cranberry sauce. Now I get to say "Ho Ho Ho" and talk about fruitcake! No, not fruitcakes like Mike and Nik, but the actual fruitcake that nobody likes.

This week I've been a bit lazy. Most evenings I've spent with my friend Jon watching the second season of 24 on DVD. I tell you, that shit is addictive. We're at least halfway through it, because I stayed over at his house until 1:00am last night, and had to get up to teach this morning. Needless to say, the classes I had were really good and liked what I was teaching. They were also very well behaved. I was slightly hungover from drinking a lot of wine last night, but that didn't affect me too much. If anything, it made me more goofy and willing to make an ass out of myself, which is always good when teaching.

There really isn't much more news. Going to Paris for Saturday, which will rule. Maybe I'll find a bike soon, but it's been a runaround with the two people I've tried to get ahold of.

About teaching Christmas: It's hard to teach about gift-giving, for me, because the whole idea of stressing out to buy gifts and spending all of your money on things other people probably don't want in the first place really sickens me. I love making things for people, or finding inexpensive and thoughtful things for them. I hate getting gifts. Yes, I will admit this. I really don't need anything, and when I do need stuff I'm pretty particular about what I get, so I go out and buy it myself. I don't like recieving money because I think there are better uses for it than myself. I sent out a letter about two years ago telling all of my family to just donate what they would give me for Christmas to a charity of their choice. They're not very good about following this wish, though, and keep trying to give me gifts, money, etc. I wish they would just listen so that I wouldn't feel guilty about getting things I don't absolutely need – but am thankful for – while other people starve in the streets. Blah. That is my pre-christmas rant. More is to come, I am sure.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael Faris said...

Why do you have to teach about Christmas? The English language has nothing more to do with Christmas than the French language. And it's not like you have to teach Christian consumerist culture to a bunch of atheist commies - you're in France, not a utopia.

12/02/2005 04:41:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home